It has been reported that twenty percent of infant deaths in the United States are traced back to birth defects. Zoloft (sertraline) has been prescribed to pregnant women since the early 1990s. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Zoloft (sertraline) as a treatment for the following disorders:
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Panic Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
These conditions/disorders are suffered by approximately one in ten young mothers and pregnant women. Zoloft (sertraline) is a selective reuptake inhibitor or SSRI drug typically used as an antidepressant medication.
PROBLEMS REPORTED FROM ZOLOFT USE (Side Effects)
- ANAL ATRESIA – This condition (blocked or missing anus) could be fixed with surgery however it could result in long term and permanent afflictions such as constipation, incontinence and intestinal blockages.
- LIMB REDUCTION DEFECTS – This occurs when an arm or leg fails to fully form.
- OMPHALOCELE – Infant Omphalocele is a condition when an infant is born with their abdominal organs outside of the body. Many times this condition can be discovered and a diagnosis can be made prior to the infant’s birth with an ultrasound. This occurs through a hole at or close to the umbilical cord. When a child is born with Omphalocele the infant has to undergo several surgeries.
OTHER ZOLOFT SIDE EFFECTS
- Cleft Palate
- Cleft Lip
- Clubbed Foot
- Cranial Defects
- Genital Defects and Malformations
- Cardiac (Heart) Defects
- Lung Defects
- Neural Tube Defects
- Spina Bifida
The anguish and suffering parents and infants have to go through when an infant suffers from birth defects is an experience that no one should have to be subjected to. At Bernheim and Dolinsky, LLC we understand that a family and loved ones that may be innocent victims as a result of a companie’s negligence seek answers and direction. Please do not hesitate to contact one of our experienced product liability and dangerous drug attorneys today to discuss how we can help you through this process including the steps necessary towards seeking the compensation that you may be entitled to. It is our passion to work hard to hold companies responsible for any harm that their products have caused and we will not rest until justice is served.
If you know of a child who has been the unfortunate victim of suffering congenital birth defects following a mother’s use of Zoloft you may be entitled to compensation.
Our attorneys are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your calls or emails in regards to a potential case. When you call, you can speak with a product liability or personal injury attorney who can communicate with you in English, Spanish and French Creole.
For more information please contact the personal injury attorneys at Bernheim & Dolinsky, L.L.C. at 1-800-474-4089 or contact us online.
- Free, no-obligation case evaluation. No fee unless you recover.
- Flexible appointments.
- Home and hospital visits.
- Experienced lawyers helping clients nationwide.